SBB Brünig-Logo

SBB Brünig Railway - Description

Description | Pictures | Route map and facts | Index

Lucerne is a junction of railway lines, both standard and narrow gauge. Here the Brünig line starts, the only narrow-gauge line of the Swiss Federal Railways. It is built as a combined adhesion and rack railway (the first in Switzerland). The line links Lucerne with the Bernese Oberland and its famous places. With the Montreux-Oberland Bernois Railway it is known as the "Golden Pass of Switzerland" route.

In Alpnachstad the Brünig Railway meets the world famous Pilatus Railway and Interlaken is a junction to the Bernese Oberland Railways. In Meiringen it is connected with the Meiringen-Innertkirchen Railway. Including the Brienz Rothorn Railway and the LSE, the network is 188 km in length.

The railway was built in 1888, when it linked Brienz with Alpnachstad, and in 1889 it was extended to Lucerne. The next extension was in 1913, where the Brienz-Interlaken "lake line" was built. in 1941-42 it was electrified with the same power system as the standard network of the SBB. The line runs from Lucerne over Alpnachstad to Giswil, where the rack part of the line starts. Between Gsilwil and Brünig-Hasliberg the line climbs uphill to1200 m., then it drops down to Meiringen, the center of the railway. From Meiringen to Interlaken it runs along Lake Brienz. In interlaken station it meets the BOB and offers the connection to the "Top of Europe", the Jungfraujoch.

Next page | Index
Copyright © 1996 Stefan Dringenberg, last change on 06-30-98