Bernese Oberland Railways - Description

Description | Pictures | Route map and facts | Index

With its "Y"-shaped network, the metre-gauge BOB was inaugurated in 1890, opening up the main valleys of the region with terminals at Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. It is a mixed rack and adhesion railway with two rack and pinion sections (based on the Riggenbach rack system) on both ends of the line's arms. The network was originally steam-operated but was electrified in 1914 and now uses a catenary voltage of 1500 V direct current.

From Interlaken, double trains are operated with one railcar at the head and one in the middle, to Zweilütschinen. Here the trains are separated, the first half going on to Lauterbrunnen, the latter to Grindelwald. Since 1949 railcars predominate on the BOB; some of the older electric locomotives still exist and are used to haul goods trains or are kept in reserve service. The centre of operations is Zweilütschinen with the depot headquarters and the modern main workshops.

Next page | Index
Copyright © 1996 Stefan Dringenberg, 06-09-96